Wednesday, December 7, 2011

DIY: Crystal Baby Mobile

  If you came from Pinterest, thanks for stopping by! Feel free to take a look around and follow me if you'd like! (You may also be interested in Lily Kate's first birthday party, or you can catch up on my most recent post!) You can also follow all of our daily non-sense on Instagram: @ashleyp2

---------------------------------------------

I was so flattered to see so many emails about my sweet girl's mobile! Instead of giving each of you a how-to by email, I figured I'd just make a separate post. Also, I've been down for the past few days with a nasty sinus infection (yuck) so I apologize for the delay in replying. There's a chance Miss Lily Kate will be here Monday so I've been trying to get as much rest as possible.

You can see the rest of Lily Kate's nursery HERE.


It really is very simple to make... just a little time consuming. All you need is:

1) A wire wreath frame.


I got mine from Michaels and it was just a few bucks. I used the 12" but they have larger and smaller sizes. I originally didn't know I'd add the ruffle, so I sprayed it antique white. Still, if I had left it green, I believe it would have been noticeable, so I'd recommend spraying it either way to match the decor.

2) Chandelier crystals.


I bought A LOT of these little boogers for our winter wedding



Like I said in my original nursery post, they were hung from the floral arrangements at our wedding, so it's neat and sentimental to use them for the next "chapter" in our lives. I actually found them locally via Craigslist, but I've looked and seen you can easily buy them on eBay or Etsy. I am pretty sure these came from an old broken chandelier and I believe I paid less than $10 for a large zip-loc bag full. Mine are octagon-shaped, clear, 18 mm, and have 2 holes (one on each end). There are sooo many shapes, colors, and sizes available though.

3) Fishing line.
I used 6# to hang the individual crystals. I learned the hard way (which I'll get to in a minute) that 6# is not enough to support the whole mobile when hanging from the ceiling... We used whatever we had in the garage, but I think it was around 20 or 30#. 

4) Fabric or other trim to hide the wreath frame.
The ruffle was a last minute whim when I decided I didn't like the exposed wire frame. I had a strip of muslin 'ruffle' left over from making the lamp shade, so it worked great for the room. I can imagine the possibilities are endless here. You could use flowers, lace, or anything glued to the sides... OR just leave it simple and exposed.

5) Sheetrock anchor with screw.
Get something pretty hefty. I think the one we used supports over 25lbs. You definitely don't want this thing falling in the baby's crib. And even if it's not for a baby, TRUST ME, you still don't want this thing to fall. We used something like this anchored in the ceiling:



Okay... First, spray your wire frame (whatever color) and let it dry. I'd recommend tying the support strings first. Like I said, use a thicker fishing line for this. Cut 6 pieces of string about 2 feet long -- one for each little "bump" in the wire frame. Tie one end of each string to the "bump" and then tie the other end of all 6 strings together. You can see what I mean here:



The important part is making sure the 6 strings are all the same length so it hangs level. If just one string is 'off' it will hang sideways (or "cattywampus" as my Dad likes to call it). It took me a few tries too, but I promise it will work. Once you are SURE it's level, go ahead and tie 2 or 3 more knots where all the strings come together. Then tie one long string to this knot (again, tie 2 or 3 good knots). This is the string you will use to hang it from the ceiling. Find something in your house you can temporarily tie it to while adding the crystals. This will save a lot of time from untangeling. We have a loft, so I used the railing upstairs. 

Now add your crystals. The crystals I used have a hole on each end, so I used separate pieces of string (I used the 6#) for each individual crystal. I wanted a 'random' look, so I didn't measure or think too hard about this. Some strands have two crystals, some three, some long, some short. Me and my mom were able to casually tie all of the crystals while watching Gnomeo & Juliet. :) I was worried about the strands being too close and getting tangled, so I only tied the strands on the outer and inner rim. AND, make sure you double or even triple knot tie everything... and give them a little tug once you get it on frame to make sure it's secure. You don't want them falling in the crib! (FYI, I was worried about the strands tangling from the ceiling fan being on, but the mobile just ever-so-sweetly spins. :)

Now add your ruffle. I am by no means a "sewer" so I won't try to go into detail about making the perfect ruffle. Mine isn't perfect, but I used a simple method. Just cut a long strip of fabric about 4" wide, set your sewing machine to a long basting stitch, and set your tension to the highest setting. Run a basting stitch down the center from one end to the other and it'll do all the work (ruffling) for you. I then hot glued the strip on the outer rim of the frame. This is also where I tied my crystal strands, so don't burn them off with the glue! Just add dots of glue between each one and attach your ruffle. My ruffle strip was a little long, so I just cut it to fit. (Even if you don't have a sewing machine, you can probably fake a ruffle when you glue it on.)

Now the funny part... The first time we tried to hang it from the ceiling was an absolute disaster! Benjie was on the top of the ladder and I was standing on the floor holding it, making sure those strands didn't tangle. He installed the sheetrock anchor into the ceiling and was about to tie the mobile to it. I let go of it and stepped back to make sure everything was level and the right height, and {SNAP} goes the main string. (Remember we used the 6# test line the first time.) The whole thing fell right into the crib. I picked it up and every strand was tangled with about 15 others. A complete mess. My hormones got the best of me and I threw it back in the crib, blamed it all on Benjie (of course), told him to "just throw it away", and stomped back to our bedroom and cried. Yes, I admit, but it was one of my only meltdowns this whole pregnancy. Benjie started untangling everything on his own ("because it's pretty and I want her to have it") and once I calmed down, we had it fixed and hung in a few hours. 

If you are going to make this.... Be patient and don't make our mistake. It's detrimental to a pregnant woman. ;)

Also, the wooden monogram letters I used above her crib came from kygracedesigns. The side initials are 18" and the center is 24". I painted the sides khaki for depth (same color as the rest of the walls in our house) and the face is SW-Antique White. We just used a few penny nails to hang these. You can't even see them.

I hope I covered everything...If not, just leave a comment here and I'll be glad to update with anything I missed.

You all have a wonderful rest of the week! I'm about to sanitize baby bottles. ;)

(If anyone makes this, please send me a picture! I'd love to see it!)


---------------------------------------------

UPDATES:

Additional FAQ's: (Please read before emailing me, this may answer your question!)

-- I get emails almost every day asking if: 1) I will sell my mobile, 2) I will sell my extra crystals, or 3) I will make another mobile to sell. The answer to all 3 those of those questions is "No." I wish I had the extra time to sit down and make pretty mobiles, but the reality is, I don't. Also, shipping these would almost be impossible. I plan to use the rest of our crystals in another project and I plan to keep LK's mobile for as long as she will have it hanging in her room. ;)

-- I guesstimate about 100 strands on this mobile with 2 or 3 crystals per strand.

-- Almost two years later and the mobile still looks great! We haven't had any problems with falling crystals. :)

66 comments:

  1. Thank you sooo much for explaining this...I think I can do it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE this idea! I'll be pinning it now : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the tutorial! My bestie is having a baby, due in a couple months and I have been wanting to make mobile for her. This is beautiful :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is precious! About how many crystals did you use?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I counted 74 on the picture. (For anyone else who wants to know, considering this is super late in regards to the comment...)
      :)

      Delete
  5. So pretty! I've been thinking about mobiles and just couldn't find anything *fabulous*...and here it is! :) Thanks for sharing and the perfect tootie - you covered everything! Here's hoping whatever version I end up with is half as fab! xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. absolutely enchanting! I just had to share it! http://dollarstoremom.com/2012/01/pinterest-picks-21/

    ReplyDelete
  7. I absolutely love this and your daughter's nursery!!! :) Do you happen to know how many strings and beads you used? You can email me at jenn.magbuhat@yahoo.com. Thank you for your help! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. We are in-between baby stages, but I absolutely love this and want to make one. As I'm sitting here drinking coffee with the morning sunlight streaming in, I decided to make one for us to catch the sunlight! As soon as I finish the projects I am working on, I will make one for my home. Can't wait! Congrats on the new beautiful addition to the family...LOVE the name!

    ReplyDelete
  9. We are in-between baby stages, but I absolutely love this and want to make one. As I'm sitting here drinking coffee with the morning sunlight streaming in, I decided to make one for us to catch the sunlight! As soon as I finish the projects I am working on, I will make one for my home. Can't wait! Congrats on the new beautiful addition to the family...LOVE the name!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I know I'm a little late, but what would any of y'all recommend for one that looks more boyish????
    Please email me at steviegidd@hotmail.com if you have any suggestions!

    Thank you for the tutorial, I will be trying this as soon as I can figure a way to make a boy one!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. OMG...I absolutely love this!! If I ever have a little girl, this is for sure going in her room!!! Thanks for sharing!! And I have to tell you...the freak out moment...absolutely hysterical!!!! I can totally see myself doing the same thing...hahahaha!!! Thanks for being honest & sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a gorgeous mobile!!

    Jenny
    www.simcoestreet.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love the mobile......I made one for each of my babies (back in '78 and '80) and enjoyed them muchly! Your nursery is so so pretty, such an interesting shade of pink---reminds me of J&J Baby lotion. I keep my Instamatic camera in the nursery so I have many, many wonderful pictures of all that I made for my children. Enjoy YOUR wonderful baby in all her special days with you.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Just saw this Pin and had to tell you how fabulous it is! I'm having a baby girl in May and I might just have to add something like this to her Nursery! Thanks for sharing:)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love this! Do you know how many beads I would need for this? I am purchasing them off ebay and don't know how big of a lot I need to order, Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  16. So lovely... Mobiles are definitely one of those baby items that should become an every-stage-of-life item :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. So lovely... Mobiles are definitely a baby item that should become an every-stage-of-life item :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks to all of you. :) I'm so glad I could inspire a few of you. To the commenter who asked, I think I used about 100 crystals. It all depends on how "full" you want it though. :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. I came back at one point to look at this mobile again and your profile had been set to private, I was sad because after seeing your nursery I knew it was almost EXACTLY what I had wanted for our little one if it's a girl (we find out Monday). As a mama of 2 little girls already though I completely understood, but I am glad to see you back with the tutorials! If I make one I'll send pictures :) Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  20. One of my best friends is having her first baby, and I really wanted to make her something special so she feels the love. Came across this on pintrest and absolutely loved the idea. So creative!!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Love this mobile. I have spray painted the wreath and am getting ready to start hanging the wire and crystals... wish me luck!

    ReplyDelete
  22. What brand is the teddy bear? I have been looking for a stuffed bear for my nursery and can't find any I like... this one is super cute!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thank you Laura!

    The teddy bear is by RUSS. The tag says "Talula Rose". Hope that helps! I'd love to see a picture of the mobile when you're done!

    -Ashley

    ReplyDelete
  24. What kind of knot did you use to tie the individual gems?

    ReplyDelete
  25. Do you know approx how many crystals you used, how many 'strings' are strung and the approx length of them? I just ordered my crystals on eBay, bought the wire wreath, so hopefully I will e getting this done soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. I think I might make a version of this as a sort of foux chandelier for my own room =) Thanks so much for the how to =)

    ReplyDelete
  27. I love this so much that I had to make my own! So far I've strong about 50 crystals. I have 50 more left, but not sure if I'll use all of them. Like you said it really just depends on how full you want it to look!

    ReplyDelete
  28. What color did you use on the wall? LOVE the mobile!!!

    ReplyDelete
  29. What color paint is on the wall? LOVE the mobile!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Looooove it!! I will try and do it for my baby. Afterwards I will send you a pic!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Looooove it!! I will try and do it for my baby. Afterwards I will send you a pic!

    ReplyDelete
  32. I'm having a hard time finding crystals. Anyone have any suggestions?!

    ReplyDelete
  33. I love the mobile, and I also love the monogram but when I clicked it's link it said "account suspended"...Sure I can find them somewhere else. Very generous to share your ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  34. @Blondie -- I fixed the link! Thanks for letting me know!

    ReplyDelete
  35. @Kelsey, the color is Sherwin Williams "Romance". We love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What brand and color did you use to spray paint the monogram letters? Looks perfect against the "Romance", great choice!! Thanks ;)

      Delete
  36. Where did you find the crystals?

    ReplyDelete
  37. Where did you find the crystals

    ReplyDelete
  38. This is just gorgeous! I love it and must make one for my new grandbaby on the way. You give a great, detailed tutorial. I would love for you to share at Transformed Tuesday. http://pjhdesignsoneofakind.blogspot.com/2013/04/transformed-tuesday-35-features.html

    Hope you have time to stop by.

    Hugs,
    Peggy~PJH Designs

    ReplyDelete
  39. i love it. will make it to my baby room
    thank you so much

    ReplyDelete
  40. You can tell your readers they can find chandelier crystals on this website: https://www.chandelierparts.com I've bought from them before.

    ReplyDelete
  41. Wow what a great site, glad I saw this it was so helpful. Being a mother of 3 and I enjoy fixing and making things for my babies Have you read about http://www.babycribmobilekit.com, another great website!


    Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  42. Hi, doesn't look like I sent a message correctly so will try again. I am making the mobile chandelier for my great granddaughter due in March and really excited about this project for her shower. I was not able to locate the crystals locally but did find arts beads, but they are not heavy therefore the fishing line does not stay straight, curls like on the spool. Do you have any suggestions on how I can get this right? I would like to have it for her shower if at all possible. I do love your ideas and can't wait to do this chandelier.

    ReplyDelete
  43. If I am driving you nuts, sorry, I can't tell if my comments are getting to you as this is the first time I have used a gmail address. I am making the chandelier for my great granddaughter due in March (shower in February) I was not able to locate crystals and instead purchased crystal art beads that are not very heavy. My problem is that the fishing line is on spool and when I do a line it still has the spool crooks in it. I am afraid that the beads are not heavy enough to pull it straight and trying to figure out how to do this, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Janet! I am not sure! I used real glass crystals from old chandeliers so I didn't have that problem. Maybe try finding some heavier ones on ebay? Good luck! You are so sweet to be making this for your great granddaughter! :)

      Delete
  44. Hey there Ashley! My baby girl is due in March and I made this mobile, thanks for the inspiration and tutorial!! However, I made my own muslin ruffle and do not like it! I can't seem to find it anywhere? Did you make or buy yours? Help! :)

    -Jillian

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jillian! I did make ruffle. :) It was super easy -- Just set your sewing machine to a basting stitch and set your tension to the highest setting. That's it! :)

      Delete
  45. Just to clarify, there are 100 strands on this mobile with 2-3 crystals on each strand? In the photo is appears that there are only about 30 strands.. Love the mobile and just ordered my crystals on ebay.com for $6.00!

    ReplyDelete
  46. Just to clarify, you said there are 100 strands with 2-3 crystals hanging from this mobile. In the photo there appears to only be about 30. Can you please clarify? Love the mobile and just ordered my crystals on Ebayfor $6.00!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kelley -- There are about 100 crystals on my mobile. Good luck! :)

      Delete
  47. Ashley, when you said you tied the crystals on, did you tread the crystal on and then tie a knot to keep it in place where you wanted it?

    ReplyDelete
  48. That is awesome!! Lovely idea. Love your amazing chandelier crystals designs. You have given me some inspiration. I think I am going to be on the look out for more of these attractive crystal chandelier myself.

    ReplyDelete
  49. So glad you posted this. I'm trying to figure out how to post a pic on here so I can share mine with you!

    ReplyDelete
  50. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  51. Hello! First of all, how incredibly creative and unique!! I'm in LOVE! Wondering if you think changing the crystal size would affect the overall look? Just trying to decide if I want to use 18mm or 20mm crystals (is it even that much of a size difference?). Thanks for any advice!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  52. What color/brand of paint did you use for the monogram letters?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't remember exactly, but it was an antique white spray paint.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...